On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 1:43 AM, Dmitriy Sintsov <ques...@rambler.ru> wrote:
> On 09.05.2013 20:28, Brad Jorsch wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 10:47 PM, James Forrester
>> <jforres...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> * Pages are implicitly in the parent categories of their explicit
>>> categories
>>> * -> Pages in <Politicians from the Netherlands> are in <People from the
>>> Netherlands by profession> (its first parent) and <People from the
>>> Netherlands> (its first parent's parent) and <Politicians> (its second
>>> parent) and <People> (its second parent's parent) and …
>>> * -> Yes, this poses issues given the sometimes cyclic nature of
>>> categories' hierarchies, but this is relatively trivial to code around
>>
>> Category cycles are the least of it. The fact that the existing
>> category hierarchy isn't based on any sensible-for-inference ontology
>> is a bigger problem.
>>
>> Let's consider what would happen to one of my favorite examples on enwiki:
>> * The article for Romania is in <Black Sea countries>. Ok.
>> * And that category is in <Black Sea>, so Romania is in that too.
>> Which is a little strange, but not too bad.
>> * And <Black Sea> is in <Seas of Russia> and <Landforms of Ukraine>.
>> Huh? Romania doesn't belong in either of those, despite that being
>> equivalent to your example where pages in <Politicians from the
>> Netherlands> also end up in <People> via <Politicians>.
>>

> There is probably nothing contradictionary in your Black sea category
> relation example because "Seas of <country>" implies that <country> has
> *multiple* seas, while Romania has only *one* sea border (no offence, there
> are lot of small countries and large country does not always means a happy
> life). <Landforms of Ukraine> is a little bit more weird, but could be
> explained as long and complex area of Crimean peninsula. So, the categories
> actually are not so wrong.

I think you misunderstood. The point was that the article on *Romania*
would end up in <Seas of Russia> and <Landforms of Ukraine>.

OTOH, I missed the part of James's original proposal about creating
the whole ontology using this inference system from scratch on
Wikidata based on strict is-a relationships. So <Black Sea countries>
wouldn't be in <Black Sea> in the Wikidata ontology, because countries
aren't the sea.

--
Brad Jorsch
Software Engineer