On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 11:31 AM, Brian Wolff <bawo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My comments are based mostly on second hand knowledge. People who have
> tried have often ran into problems, asked for help on #mediawiki, and
> nobody knowing anything that can help them. Probably a large part of
> the issue is requiring people to install a separate (non-php) program
> that's not all that well documented.

Well there's only so much we can do for people who are on shared hosting
with only FTP and a database at their disposal. We could maybe improve
SearchMysql a bit, but that's not really a goal with this project as we'd
never use it on WMF sites.

Solr, while still an external dependency, at least doesn't require people to
build and configure a basically undocumented WMF-specific system to
have a sane search.

-Chad