In regards to "unresolved codec issues", that is more a
political/legal than a technical issues.

>> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:OggHandler

We haven't been using OggHandler for quite some time now (Since
November 2012). We now use TimedMediaHandler extension.

-bawolff

On 6/24/13, Arthur Richards <aricha...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> +wikitech-l
>
> This sounds like something that might be good for the newly forming
> multimedia team to work on. As Yuvi pointed out (off the wikitech-l list):
>
> "There are also unresolved codec issues with playing videos (no H264
> support), so even if we do enable video playback it'll not be
> available everywhere, and even in places where it is it is going to be
> a biggish battery sink (no hardware decoding support). Would want to
> consider that before enabling it fully."
>
> I envision the mobile team helping to support this, but folks who focus on
> multimedia-related stuff would probably be the best candidates for digging
> into this and figuring out how we can best move forward.
>

> On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 6:16 PM, Jon Robson <jdlrob...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I would like to see videos working on mobile
>>
>> Yet there seems to be two issues here.
>> 1)  Cleaning up MobileFrontend code
>> We are stripping the ogg_player by parsing and cleaning up the HTML
>> We could probably do this in css/javascript instead.
>>
>> 2) Making videos work on mobile where supported
>> If we were to explore enabling videos on mobile we would have to look
>> at the ogg player javascript code associated with it and get it
>> working on mobile or create our own code that knows how to read it.
>> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:OggHandler
>>
>> I'm also concerned about the size of the javascript module and since
>> it is not needed by every page I would argue that it should only be
>> loaded when the video is clicked (the existing extension may do this
>> or not I'm not clear):
>>
>> https://git.wikimedia.org/blob/mediawiki%2Fextensions%2FOggHandler/895f74e63fa9cadeba1df63604b0aaeae10f803c/OggPlayer.js
>>

>> On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 5:35 PM, Max Semenik <maxsem.w...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi, when mobile WP was in its childhood, it was decided that we're not
>> > ready to display videos on our pages, so they were stripped. And
>> > stripped very crudely, by removing just #ogg_player_1 and
>> > #ogg_player_2 so that only first two videos on a page were removed.
>> > What are your opinions - shoudld we continue doing this?
>> >

>> > --
>> > Best regards,
>> >   Max Semenik ([[User:MaxSem]])

>> --
>> Jon Robson
>> http://jonrobson.me.uk
>> @rakugojon

> --
> Arthur Richards
> Software Engineer, Mobile
> [[User:Awjrichards]]
> IRC: awjr
> +1-415-839-6885 x6687

- Brian
Caution: The mass of this product contains the energy equivalent of 85
million tons of TNT per net ounce of weight.