Le 06/07/13 02:36, Yuvi Panda a écrit :
> Hello! Our current generated documentation[1] uses doxygen, and
> leaves... a number of things to be desired - such as:
>
> 1. Not be tortoise slow

I have originally migrated from PHPDoc to Doxygen because it was blazing
fast to generate doc.  Doxygen also supports several languages, so if we
came adding a second language, we could have used the same documentation
generator.  History show that JavaScript is better documented using JSDuck:
  https://doc.wikimedia.org/mediawiki-core/master/js/

It does manpages as well :-) But we can probably live without it.

From time to time, I look at other documentation generator for PHP
language.  All ends up eating all memory and being painfully slow to
generate the doc when they don't cause a segfault.

> 2. Have usable search

Doxygen has an EXTERNAL_SEARCH configuration that makes it generate an
XML file which could probably get indexed somehow in Solr.
SEARCHENGINE_URL would point to the search instance.

> 3. Prettier interface

Some CSS loves is needed :)  It can definitely be made as shown on:
 http://www.openfoam.org/docs/cpp/

Kde adapted it as well:
 http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kde-baseapps-apidocs/kate/part/html/hierarchy.html

> I was looking around for alternatives, and ran into phpdocumentor2[2].
> The project still seems active (latest commit was 3 days ago, and for
> vagrant support!), and the demo was quite pretty:
>
> http://demo.phpdoc.org/Responsive/namespaces/phpDocumentor.html
>
> Is there any particular reason we are still sticking with doxygen? Or
> is it just 'someone needs to find the time to move things over to the
> new system'?
>
> [1]: https://doc.wikimedia.org/mediawiki-core/master/php/html/
> [2]: http://www.phpdoc.org/

There is also Sami used by Symfony: