@Mark Just to clarify. Personally, I don't think wikitext's math format
should move away from a TeX-like input language.  The point I was trying
making was that a conservative extension would be useful if MathML becomes
a desired output. It seems to me that texvc was specifically designed to
prevent fully fledged TeX input, so I wonder if it wouldn't help everyone
if wasn't required on the backend anymore, only that the syntax stayed
backward compatible.

@paveenp I don't know what you mean by "unsupportably dependent". I am also
not aware of "serious bugs". Could you be more specific?

Peter.