I hope I'm not being rude, but everything you've suggested here has already
been discussed. HTTPS and HSTS are already on the schedule once the China
workaround is invented. Cookies are already tagged as Secure and HttpOnly
when over HTTPS. Both the certificate pinning RFC and the DANE RFC have
been discussed for implementation.

With that said, I think the real problem with Wikimedia's security right
now is a pretty big failure on the part of the operations team to inform
anybody as to what the hell is going on. Why hasn't the TLS cipher list
been updated? Why are we still using RC4 even though it's obviously a
terrible option? Why isn't Wikimedia using DNSSEC, let alone DANE? I'm sure
the operations team is doing quite a bit of work, but all of these things
should be trivial configuration changes, and if they aren't, the community
should be told why so we know why these changes haven't been applied yet.

Can somebody from ops comment on this? Or do I have to sign up for yet
another mailing list to find this out?

*-- *
*Tyler Romeo*
Major in Computer Science