On 21/08/13 12:22, Erik Moeller wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 12:46 PM, George William Herbert
> <george.herb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The change must be delayed until people geographically / nationally denied
>> HTTPS can log in again.
>
> Tim's working on a patch that should make this possible:
> https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/80166/
>
> The plan of record right now is to not make the switch til we have
> that merged & tested. We may still be able to make the launch window
> tomorrow - RobLa will make the final call on that.

I don't think it is a great idea to enable $wgSecureLogin with
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/47089/ unreverted and unfixed. And
my own patches probably need more testing.

> In general, though, I'd prefer for WMF to move away from what could be
> characterized as appeasement and towards actively resisting censorship
> and monitoring. So I'd argue in favor of a deadline for this approach,
> and alignment of resources and alliances to take active measures
> against censorship and monitoring.

That's not really what I signed up for. I would like WMF to play an
increasing role in the education of the people of the PRC, and I think
actively resisting censorship is opposed to that goal. We will be
blocked, and thus lose almost all of our PRC traffic.

I support circumvention of China's censorship, and more fundamentally,
I want China to be more open and democratic. However, I think that
measures to achieve these goals should be done at arm's length from
the Foundation.

-- Tim Starling