I worked on an accounting system with similar requirements and we had
an even more complicated system but one you might want to consider:
1.  When something happens record the event and how much it changed
the value along with a timestamp.  In our case we'd just have enable
and disable events.
2.  We ran a job that summarized those events into hourly changes.
3.  Every day we a log of the actual value (at midnight or whatever).

This let us quickly make all kinds of crazy graphs with super deep
granularity over short periods of time and less granularity over long
periods of time.  Essentially it was an accountant's version of
RRDtool.  It didn't have problems with getting out of sync because we
never had more than one process update more than one field.

It is probably overkill but might serve as a dramatic foil to the simpler ideas.

Nik