Ariel and others have already touched upon this, but just in case you
want more details (I'm trying to do something similar):

If your images are centered around one wiki (for example, the 1.8
million images are for articles in English Wikipedia), you can use the
tarballs at your.org:
http://ftpmirror.your.org/pub/wikimedia/imagedumps/tarballs/fulls/20121201/.

The latest set is from 2012-12, but it should form a good base for your images.

You'd want the tarballs with a prefix "of
enwiki-20121201-remote-media". These are all the images for enwiki
whose [[File]] page is hosted by commons ("remote"). In contrast,
"local" are for the images that are hosted directly by enwiki.

Some rough numbers:
- 24 tarball files: each about 90 GB
- approximately 2.3 million full-sized originals (not thumbs). Also
includes audio, video, pdf, etc.
- takes up 2.1 TB of hard disk space
- takes about 14 days to download these tarballs (with an 18 Mbps
download connection)

Hope this helps.