On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 2:53 PM, Chad <innocentkil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> wmf-foo -> 1.22wmf19
> wmf-bar -> 1.22wmf20
> wmf-baz -> 1.22wmf21
> wmf-foo -> 1.22wmf22
> wmf-bar -> 1.22wmf23

This looks like it's exactly the same concept as slot0/slot1/slot2 in
Ryan's git-deploy proposal.

The objection that I would have to this is that it makes the
cherry-picking workflow less intuitive. You have to know which of
wmf-{foo,bar,baz} to cherry-pick to, rather than being able to
cherry-pick to wmf23 or whatever. Also, because the wmfN tags can only
be created after they're no longer live (because only at that point do
we know they'll have stopped changing), you can't actually find the
*current* wmfN anywhere, because it won't have been tagged yet.

The motivation is to "stop making new branches all the time", but tags
and branches are equally cheap. A tag is just a frozen branch that
can't advance. If you're trying to "tag" something but it can still
change, use a branch. And that's what our deployment branches are,
IMO.

Roan