This was due to a broken deployment of Parsoid, the new MediaWiki
parser used by VisualEditor. A new library dependency defaulted to
iso8859-1 instead of utf-8, which caused character munging to occur.

Gabriel is working on a postmortem and we'll share this shortly with
recommendations on how to avoid such an incident in future. We're very
sorry for the breakage. Affected edits likely have already been
reverted - but if there's anything in addition we can do, let us know.
The team is still actively investigating the issue on
#mediawiki-visualeditor on irc.freenode.net, which is the best place
to reach them.

Erik

--
Erik Möller