On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 19:03:33 +0100, C. Scott Ananian <canan...@wikimedia.org>
wrote:

Could we do an end run around to fix this?  For example add a
Release-Notes: this text shows up in the release notes
field to the commit.  Before release branching, some slightly-fancier
variant of "git log | egrep '^Release-Notes:'" gets run to automatically
populate the release notes with the appropriate information.  Then we don't
have to fiddle with the merge algorithm.
  --scott

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Release_notes_automation

Merge drivers aren't nothing exceptionally fancy, and it wouldn't require much
fiddling (I've already written the code that does the work and been using it
since, it's perfect). But we need someone with access to appropriate parts of
the infrastructure to set it up for gerrit/Jenkins, and I don't have it.

--
Matma Rex