Hello,
I downloaded from http://sourceforge.net/projects/wb2pdf/files/mediawiki2latex/7.1/
and simply ran make. This did not trigger cabal.

You also have to install the build dependencies before you compile

Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 8), ghc,
 libghc-regex-compat-dev, libghc-http-dev, cabal-install, libghc-hxt-dev,
 libghc-split-dev, libghc-blaze-html-dev, libghc-file-embed-dev,
 libghc-highlighting-kate-dev,  libghc-hxt-http-dev, libghc-regex-pcre-dev,
 libghc-temporary-dev, libghc-url-dev, libghc-utf8-string-dev,
 libghc-utility-ht-dev, libghc-http-conduit-dev

Indeed I forgot to increase the version number from 6.9 to 7.1.

But what I recommed you to do it to download the deb for you architecture from the bottom of that page and install it with a graphical package manager frontend

http://packages.debian.org/de/sid/mediawiki2latex

A friend of mine was successfull with this procedure with mint lts which should be similar to yours.

I will be on a buisness trip until Thursday, so my next reply will take some time.
Yours Dirk