On 12/5/13, Risker <risker...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5 December 2013 13:08, Bartosz Dziewoński <matma....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The sites are updated weekly, sometimes with additional deployments
>> inbetween the scheduled ones. Constant sitenotice would be a bad idea.
>>
>> I suggest you subscribe to https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Tech/News ,
>> which is an also weekly newsletter summarising new features and important
>> fixed bugs every week, as well as providing links to the detailed change
>> logs.
>>

> Not a bad idea, although every time someone says "xx needs to be
> communicated better", someone else responds with "there's a mailing list
> for that!"  So far, based on recommendations from *this* mailing list, I've
> subscribed to half a dozen other lists that, generally speaking, didn't
> give me any more information than I would have received here.  (Wikitech
> Ambassadors?  Who's sending anything there? Is it useful anymore?)
>
> Some streamlining of communication processes, and giving consideration to a
> quick and straightforward process to reach information that can be done
> directly from any WMF wiki, would be a really significant outreach to the
> primary users.
>
> Risker/Anne

As it stands we don't really summarize changes very well, which is a
prerequisite for telling people about changes. Occasionally changes
make it to Tech/news, but that seems sporadic. Posts to
wikitech-ambassadors is from what I've seen, really only for changes
we expect to cause problems, which is a small subset of the changes
people care about. Really the only in-depth list of changes coming to
a wiki near you is https://git.wikimedia.org/activity/ which includes
a lot of extra stuff, and is mostly far too technical for users to
reasonably understand.

I think the best way forward would be to more accurately describe
upcoming changes on tech/news. Once we actually have a user-readable
summary of actual changes that are happening, then we could have a
more reasonable discussion about how to get the information into
people who care's hands, without spamming people who don't. Of course
maintaining tech/news would probably require more effort being put
towards it then is currently done, which requires someone (or multiple
someones) to actually do so.

--bawolff