The mobile skin has traditionally used the template variable
'language_urls' in SkinTemplate to access the list of alternative
languages of an article. We are now seeing a lot of friction and bugs
as we try to move our codebase closer to core.

Question 1:
What does 'language_urls' mean - is it acceptable for anything other
than a real language to be in that list?

Over the course of 3 weeks however we have had 3 bugs that have added
things that are not languages to this list. This has caused various
noticeable problems with how languages works on mobile.

Question 2:
Why do developers abuse it in this way - is there not a better more
semantic way to do this?

Currently we have an issue live on all wikipedias which makes a
language button show up on all pages - even those without articles.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Diggers_%26_Dealers&title=Diggers_%26_Dealers
When the language button at the bottom of the screen is clicked it
says "This page is available in 1 language: Edit links (Edit
interlanguage links)

As a result I've now proposed a change for our skin to override this
[1] so that we can control the list contents and override the effects
of the hook.

This however is rather frustrating - especially given none of our
template variables are documented and open to this kind of
interpretation

Question 3:
Should we document these template variables? If so where and how?

Thanks for your opinions on this matter.

[1] https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/99693

--
Jon Robson
http://jonrobson.me.uk