Hey,

On 9 December 2013 04:22, Rob Lanphier <ro...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> > That'd be fanatic if it happened for many other reasons as well. For all
> > intents and purposes it is a big caste in the sky though. I expect this
> > not happen in the coming years, unless there is a big shift in opinion on
> > what constitutes good software design and architecture in the community.

It sounds like you're retreating from an argument you haven't even started
> yet.

I outlined something I expect to happen, a prediction of the probable
future. It is not an argument, not a suggestion, not a wish and not
something I'm saying should be done. Do you disagree it is unlikely we will
get to the point where MediaWiki can behave library like (where applicable)
in the near future?

On 9 December 2013 04:22, Rob Lanphier <ro...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> A successful proposal will likely be one that can be executed
> incrementally without huge workflow shifts, so there may have been
> resistance in the past to a particular "blow it all up and start over"
> strategy.

Exactly. Incrementalism is generally the way to go. See also: agile. I for
one think it is a very bad idea to rewrite huge chunks of a codebase at a
time, due to high risk, high cost and sometimes plain infeasibility. Though
note how that there are many people that tend to scream "why did you not
fix the whole of x" whenever an incremental solution is created, or that
demand one goes all the way when it is proposed.

On 9 December 2013 04:22, Rob Lanphier <ro...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> However, I haven't yet heard anyone put forward the argument
> that MediaWiki's monolithic architecture is the correct long-term
> architecture.

The argument is definitely there. People that take this point of view are
obviously not phrasing it as "I like big monolithic architectures" though.

Cheers

--
Jeroen De Dauw
http://www.bn2vs.com