On 11 Dec 2013, at 18:40, Bryan Davis <bd...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 9:59 AM, Sen <kik...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> when i open the chrome console,i always can get:
>>> event.returnValue is deprecated. Please use the standard
>>> event.preventDefault()  instead.
>>

>> is any plan to fix this?
>
> I don't know if there is currently a plan to fix it, but the warning
> is from jQuery and should be fixed by version 1.11 or greater [0]. As
> noted on the upstream bug this is just a warning and should have no
> effect on functionality.
>
> [0]: http://bugs.jquery.com/ticket/14282

In addition to merely being deprecated (and us using a dated version of jQuery),
it is also harmless if support were to be removed entirely by Chrome.

As far as I know, no version of jQuery ever relied on event.returnValue.
It just did the fallback from the standard event.preventDefault in an odd
way causing it to trigger a property access, which then (now, years later)
got triggered by Chrome’s deprecation system.

Simplified:

* They were using (jQuery v1.9.1):

  e.defaultPrevented || e.returnValue === false

Which means if the browser supports standard e.defaultPrevented,
but is genuinely set to false (it is a boolean property after all) it would
look at e.returnValue.

* They are now using (jQuery v1.11.0-pre, latest upstream master):

  e.defaultPrevented ( … )
      e.defaultPrevented === undefined && e.returnValue === false

-- Krinkle