Yes, this is precisely what I mean. It could be some js gadget that
does this, just like the google translate gadget makes it easy to
translate a word by rolling over the text, this would let users see
the value in different units the same way. However this gadget needs
to know what is supposed to be converted. So there is also some need
to alter the current articles as they are.

Maybe it would be possible for it to automagically recognize what is a
unit using some regex or something like it, but I am afraid it
wouldn't be very reliable if the unit and value wasn't clearly
specified in wikitext. There are some special values, for example
recently I was reading about hard drives and values like size per
square inch (for example Tib/sq. inch) and similar are pretty exotic
to be matched easily by some automatic algorithm without explicitly
specifying what kind of unit is that.