On 14 February 2014 15:40, Lars Aronsson <l...@aronsson.se> wrote:

> On 02/14/2014 10:39 PM, Gabriel Wicke wrote:
>
>> VisualEditor is an HTML editor and doesn't know about wikitext.
>>

> That single sentence explains so much.
> If you would have told me two years ago,
> I could have said "wrong path, this will fail".
> (Of course, many would have protested and
> refused to listen to sound advice, but now
> we know the outcome.)

​Thanks for your timely input. :-)

We pointed out some of the (dozens of) reasons why a client-side
implementation of the parser wasn't a workable solution when we made the
choice to take this route; sorry you didn't notice that at the time.

What do you predict we will be using five
> years from now, in 2019? Plain old wikitext,
> VisualEditor, or some other path?

​For new out-of-the-box MediaWiki installs? Almost certainly HTML.​

​For existing legacy MediaWiki sites with sane quantities of extensions?
Probably HTML for most.​

For WMF's currently-hosted sites? Probably wikitext, but it's possible that
we'll have switched.

J.
--
James D. Forrester