On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 7:02 AM, Ori Livneh <o...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> "A tracing infrastructure that relies on active collaboration from
> application-level developers in order to function becomes extremely
> fragile, and is often broken due to instrumentation bugs or omissions,
> therefore violating the ubiquity requirement. This is especially important
> in a fast-paced development environment such as ours."

I tend to agree. I'm really not a big fan of wfProfileIn/wfProfileOut.
Among it's many issues:

   - People often forget to call wfProfileOut (although this can be fixed
   by using ProfileSection)
   - It hurts readability (also can be fixed by ProfileSection, although
   only in cases where the entire function is being profiled)
   - It makes code completely dependent on MediaWiki, thus eliminating the
   possibility of separating code out into separate modules
   - It provides no more information than xhprof would (and yes, xhprof is
   meant for production use.

*-- *
*Tyler Romeo*
Major in Computer Science