Quim,

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 10:47:04AM -0700, Quim Gil wrote:
> * projects we develop that we want others to use and contribute to (e.g.
> MediaWiki)
> * projects others develop and we embed in our architecture (e.g.  >
> Elasticsearch)
> * projects others develop and we embed in our processes (e.g. Jenkins)
>
> These projects define our location in the free software map. The health of
> our projects depends on their own health, and also on the health of our
> common links.

I'm not sure what "embed in our architecture" or "embed in our
processes" means, could you clarify that?

I see for example that the page has a lot of the shiny stuff (e.g. Lua
is there, but bash/PHP/Python/Ruby are not). Moreover, a few random
libraries are there but others that we take for granted are not (e.g.
librsvg is there, but noone thought of gzip or bzip2; unihan vs. all of
the dozens of fonts that we use, etc.). Not to mention all the hundreds
of absolutely essential tools that we use for system maintenance that
noone ever sees or cares about, from Linux to GNU sed, dpkg, apt etc.

I think this needs to be clarified and/or scoped a bit better, including
explaining the rationale & motivation behind doing all this work.

For what it's worth, a uniqued dpkg -l across the production
infrastructure shows 3276 software packages and personally I'd have a
very hard time filtering the list based on what fits in the above
description.

Regards,
Faidon