An extremely crude benchmark on our multimedia labs instance, still using
the same test image:

original -> 3002 (original size) 0m0.268s
original -> 2048 0m1.344s
original -> 1024 0m0.856s
original -> 512 0m0.740s
original -> 256 0m0.660s
2048 -> 1024 0m0.444s
2048 -> 512 0m0.332s
2048 -> 256 0m0.284s
1024 -> 512 0m0.112s
512 -> 256 0m0.040s

Which confirms that chaining instead of generating all thumbnails based on
the biggest bucket saves a significant amount of processing time. It's
definitely in the same order or magnitude as the savings achieved by going
from original as the source to the biggest bucket as the source.

It's also worth noting that generating the thumbnail of the same size as
the original is relatively cheap. Using it as the source for the 2048 image
doesn't save that much time, though: 0m1.252s (for 3002 -> 2048).

And here's a side-by-side comparison of these images generated with
chaining and images that come from our regular image scalers:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/109867/imagickchaining/index.html Try
to guess which is which before inspecting the page for the answer :)