On Jun 1, 2014 5:12 AM, "ENWP Pine" <deyntest...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> So here I am working late night / early morning trying to get the
Signpost published, and I see something new at the top of image pages on
English Wikipedia such as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wikidata.png

> We now have "View on Wikimedia Commons" and "Add local description" tabs.
Cool!

I agree. Thank you This,_that_and_the_other for making that feature happen.

> Can we get the local description tab to appear on Commons also?

Which project would that link to? Commons files are used on over 300
projects.

> Also, because the local description tab opens a free-text entry space,
can that tab be split into "Add location" and "Add description" with the
former opening up places to enter geolocation data, nearby landmarks, or an
address?

That is actually the type of info that is supposed to go on commons not
locally. There are templates for that sort of thing. Direct entry is a bit
harder, maybe the use of wikidata on commons that is planned for the
nearish future will make entry of such discrete things easier. Otherwise
maybe we could have a "hotcat" style thing for ammending file information.
it was recently suggested to me that we would benefit from something
similar for adding translations to file descriptions.

--bawolff