On 05/31/2014 12:38 PM, Chad wrote:
> On Sat, May 31, 2014 at 5:52 AM, Bartosz Dziewoński <matma....@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I don't like this idea, for the same reasons that other have already
>> given. Grafting histories with git-replace might be viable, but it'd still
>> be clunky and non-intuitive.
>>

> Ok, fair enough. Everyone's made some really good points so let's drop the
> idea of dropping our history.
>
> However I think we should continue to discuss ways to contain the repo size
> going forward. That, combined with some aggressive repacking and dropping
> of refs/changes/* (when we move to Phabricator) should help get it under
> control.
>

>> Why don't we just suggest that people use shallow clones? Git supports
>> pushing from and pulling to them since 1.9, and while Gerrit doesn't accept
>> pushes from them (or at least it didn't when I just tried), I see no reason
>> why Phabricator would have any issues if it only works on diffs anyway, not
>> commits.
>

> This is also a good idea.
>
> -Chad

Chad, thanks for bringing this up. I'm especially grateful that you
named the target repo size at 30 to 35 MB -- it makes this more concrete.

I think some more numbers/facts might help us make the right tradeoffs
here to think about ways to contain the repo size going forward -- like:
* Antoine said "My repacked copy of core is 270MB" and we have some
disagreement about whether that's okay. Is there a max size we want to
avoid getting to?
* A bigger repo is obviously slower to download in full; is it also
slower to search or otherwise work with? How much slower? Most of our
developers are probably not on SSDs yet.

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Senior Technical Writer