Hi,

So from what I understand, there's now been an amendment to WMF's
terms of use to require disclosure of paid "contributions" [1]. Its a
little unclear how this applies to MediaWiki as a project, but a
literal reading of the policy makes it seem like MediaWiki is
included.

* MediaWiki is arguably a project of the Wikimedia foundation. The
foundation's website says as much [2]
*A commit/patchset certainly seems like a contribution.

Thus the new policy would require anyone submitting code to use to
declare who they work for. Personally this seems both unnecessary to
me, as well as unlikely to be followed. For example, I see no reason
why some person who uses our software should have to declare who they
work for when they upstream a bug fix, etc.

I would suggest we follow commons' lead [3], and declare that we do
not have disclosure requirements for people giving us code.

--bawolff

[1]
https://wikimediafoundation.org/w/index.php?title=Terms_of_Use&diff=0&oldid=90463
[2] https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Our_projects