On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 12:30 AM, Bryan Davis <bd...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Chris initially chose `MWOAuth` but later amended to use
> `MediaWiki\Extensions\OAuth` at my suggestion.
>
> [...]
> I suggested MediaWiki\Extensions\OAuth because it seems like the most
> natural naming to me.

+2. Abbreviations are mostly annoying and not suited for class (or
namespace) names. There's always the risk someone else already picked your
two or three-letter abbreviation, which would eventually cause some issues
for everyone involved, whereas there's only one "MediaWiki" out there.

> The loudest argument I've heard here (and elsewhere) about using
> namespaces like MediaWiki\Extensions\OAuth is that there are too many
> characters to type.

That could then be used as an argument against the supermajority of our
well-estabilished coding conventions. Why call a variable $enableEditing
when $e (or $ee) requires far less typing? Let's just name variables from
$a to $z and once we run out of valid single-letter vars, let's just use
$aa, $bb, and so on, because it requires far less typing! (And produces far
more messy and unreadable code. Oops!)

> you typically type a fully qualified class name
> once per file at most, and any reasonable editor can be configured to
> have tab completion and/or macro expansion for commonly typed strings.

Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V have been a thing for quite a while, no?

Regards,
--
Jack Phoenix
MediaWiki developer