On Friday, 27 June 2014 19:16:45 Isarra Yos wrote:
> On 27/06/14 19:02, Jeffrey Barish wrote:
> > On Friday, 27 June 2014 10:24:57 Ryan Kaldari wrote:
> >> Works for me. I added the background-color rule to
> >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Kaldari/vector.css and it took effect
> >> immediately.
> >>
> >> Ryan Kaldari
> >>

> >> On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 8:31 AM, Jeffrey Barish
> >> <jeff_bar...@earthlink.net>

> > Ryan,
> >
> > Thanks for your reply.  It is certainly interesting to know that someone
> > is
> > able to get something related to work, although I don't really understand
> > what it is you did.  The lines of css that I provided still do not work
> > for me. Perhaps it would help for me to provide a little more information
> > about what I am doing as it most likely is different from what you tried.
> >
> > I am viewing Wikipedia pages using webkit in an application that I wrote.
> > I attach my style sheet by specifying user_stylesheet_uri.  I know that
> > webkit is reading my css because I could set the background color until 2
> > days ago and because I can still set the text color.  I am guessing that
> > a css upstream is now specifying the background color using !important so
> > that my specification no longer takes effect.  If so, then that
> > specification is new because mine used to work.  I don't understand how
> > Wikipedia (or css, for that matter) works well enough to guess where that
> > change might have been made or why.  However, if my theory is correct,
> > then I don't see how you are able to change the background color, unless
> > the change that you made somehow is upstream from the hypothetical
> > specification of background color using !important.
> >
> > Jeff

> Kaldari used an !important, but I tried it just now without it and the
> background colour change still worked  - is it possible you have some
> other, more specific rule somewhere overriding the colour? The only
> thing I found in the mw source css was a generic body selector without
> anything special (body { background-color: #F6F6F6; }), but if that's
> overridden elsewhere it would cause problems.
>
> -I

I tried reducing the style sheet to the three lines

body {
    background-color: rgb(68, 68, 68) !important;
}

Doesn't work.  When I modify the second line to be

    color: rgb(204, 204, 204) !important;

the text color changes, as expected.  Since there is nothing else in my style
sheet, I conclude that the problem is not interference from a more specific
rule of my own, but the theory was certainly worth testing.