On 18/08/14 14:54, Brad Jorsch (Anomie) wrote:
On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 6:06 PM, Aditya Chaturvedi <
aditya.iiita...@gmail.com> wrote:

However, to run the system in production first, we need assistance on how
to make these ratings visible on the pages of extension.

Has it already been asked anywhere *whether* to make these ratings
available on mediawiki.org? How useful is it really to know that
Extension:ConfirmEdit scored "3" on some external website, especially
without knowing that that "3" comes from a grand total of 1 person?

Or without knowing what version they were running on, or what specifically was the issue (different issues apply to different projects; for instance a quirk that would be a blocker on wikinews might be something we'd WANT for unnews on uncyclopedia)...

The ratings also aren't necessarily for the things people might expect, either, especially if only a flat number is supplied: I expected 'rating' to be about the extension's effectiveness in production, but only 'usability' maybe covers that, despite not really applying to all extensions. And documentation quality should be pretty apparent if you're already on the extension documentation page on mw.org. Installation can be a massive pain in the arse but still very much worth it, especially as it is a one-time thing, so the real question may be is it worth it.

I feel like we'd need context for the ratings to be at all useful. So I'd say the question should be asked - should these ratings be available? Going from there, that's also the discussion that would hone down what could make them truly valuable.

-I