Hi,

On 9/21/14, 1:42 PM, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
> Dear Wikitech-l
>
> REL1_24 was branched and announced ahead of schedule[0].
>
> Our schedule[1] clearly states that we will announce a branch one week
> before we make one in order to allow developers to put any necessary work
> into the branch and keep backports to a minimum.

Given that your schedule was only posted earlier today
(<https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=WikiReleaseTeam%2FRelease_timeline&diff=1177036&oldid=1135771>),
I'm not sure how you expected anyone else to know about it. Normally we
switch over to the next alpha branch after the wmf22 branch is created.

> The current release is planned for 2014-11-26[2].  According to our
> schedule, the actual REL1_24 branch should be made on 2014-10-22.

This doesn't make much sense to me. Next week 1.25wmf1 is going to be
branched, meaning that master should be on "1.25alpha" already. Waiting
until late October to branch means that won't happen. The bump to 1.24
(<https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/125735/>), it was done right after
1.23wmf22 was branched, so the same basic process was followed here give
or take a day.

-- Legoktm