If the old maintainer is still around, ask them if they are ok with you
taking over. ( just to avoid stepping on toes)

If they cant be reached, ask at
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Gerrit/Project_ownership explaining why you
want to take over maintinance of the extension. Helps if you have pre
existing commits to said extension you can point to (or even pending
commits), but generally the barrier should be pretty low for non-wmf
deployed extensions that are clearly abandoned. (Imo).

--bawolff

ricordisa...@openmailbox.org