The real-time collaboration mock ups that Pau created and we presented
at Wikimania have a feature which is similar, where you can see who
else is currently editing a given page (and be notified when another
edit starts) even if you don't choose to start/join a collaborative
editing session.

But even if/when that work is implemented, I think there are better
ways to handle merging edit conflicts.

The VE model does actually help here some -- the patches I've been
working on for VE real-time collaborative editing do provide a way to
"transpose" actions w/r/t each other, which allows you to merge two
edit histories in some cases.  Possibly an early use of this feature
might be to allow VE to provide a nicer edit conflict resolution
screen, with the option to automatically merge your edits in certain
cases.
 --scott