On 2014-12-03 8:35 PM, Robert Rohde wrote:
> However, captchas might be useful if used in conjunction with simple
> behavioral analysis, such as rate limiters.  For example, if an IP is
> creating a lot of accounts or editing at a high rate of speed, those are
> bad signs.
Don't we already do rate limiting by IP for account creation? In fact I
seem to recall we have a page where people have to ask for temporary
whitelisting of IPs like those used at a hackathon's Wi-Fi point where
large numbers of users legitimately sign up.

I'm pretty sure the users making large amounts of malicious accounts use
a bunch of proxies so they don't have to worry about rate limits.