On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 11:08 AM, MZMcBride <z...@mzmcbride.com> wrote:
> Chad wrote:
>>Well that was a fun experiment for an hour. Turns out captchas do actually
>>stop a non-zero amount of spam on non-test wikis.
>>
>>Mediawiki.org logs tell the story pretty clearly.
>>
>>This has been rolled back.
>
> :-(
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Log/delete
>
> I spent a bit of time poking around. The spam seems to primarily be
> related to page creation. A slightly smarter heuristic (such as requiring
> that your edit count be > 0 before you can create a page) might mitigate
> this. Disallowing edits that contain "<a href" might also help.
>
> The more I think about this, the more I wonder whether we should change
> the CAPTCHA model so that instead of applying CAPTCHAs in a blanket manner
> to types of actions (page creation, account creation, etc.), we could
> instead only force users to solve a CAPTCHA when certain abuse filters are
> triggered. Adding this functionality to the AbuseFilter extension is
> tracked at <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T20110>.
>
> By shifting from the current rigid PHP configuration model to a looser and
> more flexible AbuseFilter model, we could hopefully ensure that
> anti-abuse measures (warning about an action, disallowing an action, or
> requiring a CAPTCHA before allowing an action) are more narrowly tailored
> to address specific problematic behavior. Even triggering AbuseFilter
> warnings that simply add an extra click/form submission for specific
> patterns of problematic behavior might trip up many of these spambots.

Big +1 for this.

Then, if a wiki community really wants to use CAPTCHA on all account
creations or link additions, they can add that as AF rules.

I am quite sure that on English Wikipedia the AF admins would enjoy
defining precise rules and monitor them for effectiveness using the AF
log.

--
John Vandenberg