Hi!

Tim merged my patch[1] which implements the extension registration RfC[2].
For extensions (and skins!) to use this they need to be converted to
have extension.json (or skin.json) files. A maintenance script,
convertExtensionToRegistration.php, has been written to do this, but
there may be some edge cases that need some manual tweaking.

How should we go about migrating extensions? I've come up with a few
different ideas:

1. Package the extension registration code into an "extension" which can
be used by people who want to run newer copies of extensions on old
MediaWiki versions. We would then convert extensions to the
extension.json format and remove the PHP entry points.
2. Similar to #1, but package the extension registration code in each
individual extension, like was done with the i18n migration. I don't
really like this idea because a change to the code requires updating
every single extension.
3. Convert all extensions to extension.json, but continue to maintain
PHP entry points with duplicated information if the extension wants to
maintain old compatibility.

I'm personally leading towards option #1. Thoughts?

Once we have a migration plan decided, I'll start working on updating
documentation and other fun stuff.

[1] https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/166705/
[2]
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Extension_registration