Currently our approach on social media is that "Social media websites
aren't useful for spreading news and reaching out to potential users and
contributors." [1] I challenge this though.  Is it really true?   Twitter
has 254 million active monthly users, with 500 million tweets sent per day
[2], Facebook has 1.35 billion active monthly users users. [3]

I know there are many active Wikipedians who frequent both of these sites.
Should we be more actively encouraging people to share?

The history of the Social Media page indicates this was added as an ‘initial
dump’ back in November of 2011. [4]  But I wonder if it might be worth
revisiting or refreshing this decision in light of the current world we
live in.

What do others think?   What would the reaction be to a sharethis.com type
service where any site could engage ?   Would this be more valuable on
mobile than than desktop?

1: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Social_media

2: https://about.twitter.com/company

3: http://newsroom.fb.com/company-info