If you're interested, the Wikipedia app has functionality which lets you
share interesting snippets of articles to the social medium of your choice.
We have special "Tweet a Fact" functionality in alpha on Android; when you
highlight text in the app, and you tap the little chat bubble in the menu,
it creates a bitmap and posts it to the social medium of your choice.

Here's an example of what it's like if you do it on the Bern article:
https://twitter.com/danjgarry/status/553689032455360512

The Android and iOS SDKs include a lot of functionality for this kind of
social sharing since it's an established user workflow for mobile apps.
It's relatively easy for us to build this out.

You can test the Android alpha by going to http://android-builds.wmflabs.org on
your Android device and downloading the APK.

Dan

On 9 January 2015 at 11:24, Rob Moen <rm...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Currently our approach on social media is that "Social media websites
> aren't useful for spreading news and reaching out to potential users and
> contributors." [1] I challenge this though.  Is it really true?   Twitter
> has 254 million active monthly users, with 500 million tweets sent per day
> [2], Facebook has 1.35 billion active monthly users users. [3]
>

> I know there are many active Wikipedians who frequent both of these sites.
> Should we be more actively encouraging people to share?
>

> The history of the Social Media page indicates this was added as an
> ‘initial
> dump’ back in November of 2011. [4]  But I wonder if it might be worth
> revisiting or refreshing this decision in light of the current world we
> live in.
>

> What do others think?   What would the reaction be to a sharethis.com type
> service where any site could engage ?   Would this be more valuable on
> mobile than than desktop?
>

> 1: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Social_media
>
> 2: https://about.twitter.com/company
>
> 3: http://newsroom.fb.com/company-info