Tim, I like Varnish's vcl flexibility, but not the debugging aspects.
Still, +1, but could you elaborate on how you see:

* Services communicate with each other - via varnish as well or directly?
* Do you see routing varnish layer as non-caching, only to forward request
to the second tear service-specific varnish instance that will actually
perform caching?
* Will there be any problems separating services into separate, non
mutually trusted clusters?
* service management - varnish would only indicate overall health of the
service. What about service-specific real time monitored values (if
needed), logs, controlling service instances. Any thoughts on generalizing
that infrastructure?

Lastly, semi related - my service will also need a node.js lib to access MW
api. How should we manage common libs like that?

Thanks!