As I said, I belive that any registered user should be able to use,
with no need for permissions as I see no way to abuse it. Bot flag
gives you higher api limits which can be abused, but this would just
work to make it easier for users to hide out your edits. The
permission could be individually changed though per wiki if users
wanted to have it restricted.

The difference from bot flag is that bots are robots, not users, you
probably want to keep them separated. Giving bot flag to a regular
user is probably not a best idea.