On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 6:08 PM, Chris Steipp <cste...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> * please fail in a way that tells the user what went wrong

This is my most important point.

I don't mind changing the code I write to conform to new (improved!) ways
of doing things. I think those who are writing configuration objects and
extension managers and libraryizing and serviceizing and generally
improving our code and eliminating technical debt are doing the
(figurative) Lord's Work.

Just, make it so that if I do things the "Old Way", I find out in an
obvious way that there is a New Way, and you don't waste hours of my time
trying to find out what changed.

As much as possible, I think we should rely on useful error messages and
obvious signs in the code that something has changed, not required reading.
I don't want to have to do homework to do my job – if people move my cheese
then I'd like them to at least leave a note telling me where it's been
moved to.

The point of removing technical debt is that it improves engineer
productivity – if you make engineers spend hours reading mailing lists and
tracing bugs then those benefits dissipate.

— Andrew Garrett