On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 10:34 AM, Mark A. Hershberger <m...@nichework.com>
wrote:

> I've opened a task on Phabricator[1] to attempt to merge the information
> in extension.json with Composer's
> already-used-by-several-extensions-and-skins composer.json.
>
> Kunal has rightly pointed out that composer doesn't fit some use-cases
> for MediaWiki.  I see that as an opportunity to be good citizens in the
> larger developer community by working to integrate MediaWiki into the
> growing ecosystem available on packagist.org.
>
> For example, if composer had been available, we might not have had to
> develop our own HTTP client.
>
> If composer had been available, Brion could have released the work under
> includes/normal as its own package.  As he says in the README there:
>
>     This directory contains some Unicode normalization routines. These
>     routines are meant to be reusable in other projects, so I'm not
>     tying them to the MediaWiki utility functions.
>
> (Of course, there was PEAR, but that is ugly and centralized in a way
> that composer is not.)
>
> Using Composer for extensions also reduces the learning curve for
> developers who want to adapt their work (which may already be available
> via Composer) to be used in MediaWiki.  It helps us increase the size of
> the available developer community without too much effort.
>
> Footnotes:
> [1]  https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T89456

For those new to this discussion, review of the talk page for the
Improving extension management RFC [0] and the Extension management
with Composer RFC [1] and it's talk page [2] would be advised.

I'd love to see this discussion become more unified rather than more
fragmented as I believe that an improved versioning, compatibility and
MediaWiki.

[0]:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Requests_for_comment/Improving_extension_management#-1_Creates_technical_debt
[1]:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Extension_management_with_Composer
[2]:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Requests_for_comment/Extension_management_with_Composer

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <bd...@wikimedia.org>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]]  Sr Software Engineer            Boise, ID USA