Hi all,

I'm the one who started that bug-now-task a while back, and for
context, it was based directly on user feedback. What MzM says above
is right. I was working with a casual (but quite good) editor who said
to me "well, I'd edit that Wikipedia page, but I don't edit very often
and I can never remember what my login is, since my usual login was
taken. But if I could enter my email address, it would be a lot easier
and I'd be more likely to just do it."

Struck by the idea that this was a barrier to editing, I asked around
and got similar feedback from other people, for both public and
private mediawikis. So I submitted the bug for consideration. I know
it's difficult and there's been a lot of discussion on how to
technically do it, but I think the underlying need definitely still
exists.

thanks,
Phoebe

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 4:54 AM, Tony Thomas <01tonytho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Before someone starts with a proposal for the proposed-tech-project 'Allow
> user login with e-mail address'[1], is there still community consensus for
> the same ? I personally think its a must-have for MediaWiki, as e-mail
> address is easy to remember than a complex username. Currently multiple
> users can sign-up with the same e-mail id - which would possibly be a
> blocker, and can be fixed. Thanks to MzMcbride, we have an RFC[2] too on
> the same.
>
> [1] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T30085
> [2]
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Login_via_e-mail_address
>
> Thanks,
> Tony Thomas <http://tttwrites.wordpress.com/>
> FOSS@Amrita <http://foss.amrita.ac.in>
>
> *"where there is a wifi, there is a way"*

<at> gmail.com *