On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 5:58 PM, Jeroen De Dauw <jeroended...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I've written some stuff about my experiences with PHPCS and PHPMD in the
> context of MediaWiki development, which might be of interest to people here.
>
> http://www.bn2vs.com/blog/2015/02/20/phpcs-and-phpmd-my-experiences/
>
> Also, in case you want to see how easy it is to add these tools to a
> MediaWiki extension, see
> https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMetaTags/pull/25/files

Good stuff Jeroen. Thanks for sharing your hard learned lessons.

I think it would be interesting to develop a basic PHPMD ruleset for
use as a starting point for new projects or projects looking to
tighten their automated checks. There is of course a lot of room for
bikeshedding in something like this and each project should have the
freedom to tweak the rules as they see fit.

For any of you who haven't seen it yet, there is a bit of
documentation on using the unmodified mediawiki-codesniffer rules via
Composer on Manual:Developing_libraries [0]. Hashar and Krinkle are
also working on a "standard" for setting up test entry points for
various languages typically used in WMF hosted projects that should
make moving from project to project a bit easier and let they simplify
many of the current Jenkins jobs. I'm excited to more and more people
thinking about how we can make testing easier and more automatic in
our projects.

[0]:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Developing_libraries#Code_style_guidelines
[1]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Continuous_integration/Test_entry_points

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <bd...@wikimedia.org>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]]  Sr Software Engineer            Boise, ID USA