I don't believe that users would actually use it if this permission
was so hard to obtain as bot flag is (on english wiki). If there was
such a huge complex bureaucratic process for this, most of users would
just keep doing semi-automated edits as regular edits. The summary of
differences between flags:

* Bot edits are usually more trusted and are evaluated and reviewed by
different people. That means bot edits can be safely ignored by most
of users. This wouldn't really apply for semi-automated edits made by
users. They are still humans and they make mistakes, they should be
reviewed by admins, other users etc at some point. But most of regular
users can safely ignore them.
* Bot flags is hard to obtain, usually a matter of weeks. "Tool flag"
shouldn't be any harder than getting rollback permissions.
* Bot flag applies for all edits, tool flag should be used only for some edits.
* Bots are robots (non-thinking processes) that work fully
automatically. Tool edits would be made by people. There is a
difference between these 2 BUT should this difference be visible?
(this is actually a question)

In case that there is no need to differentiate between bot edits and
automated edits made by users, let's rename "bot" to "automated edit"
in bot flag (and rename whole bot flag) using different letter (b ->
a) and let's make it possible for trusted users to flag their edits as
"automated edit" even without requirement to be in "bot group". Eg.
bots would still have higher API limits, regular users not, but both
trusted and bots could mark their edits as "automated".

IMHO I don't think we need to be make a distinction between bots and
people. Bots should have "bot" in their username which makes it simple
to see if edit was made by robot or human and in both cases the edits
are automated.