Ah, I have found that using the full textvc.exe location, with backslashes (\) replaced with forward slashes and the C: prefix removed worked, sort of. I am still getting an error but it's a different one, namely:
*Failed to parse (unknown error):*

On 12/04/2015 11:14 PM, Brian Wolff wrote:
On Apr 12, 2015 6:06 AM, "Brenton Horne" <brentonhorn...@gmail.com> wrote:
I sent this message to MediaWiki-l but as I am yet to receive a reply
despite sending it about a day ago I have decided to forward it here.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject:        Math extension, errors that may be Windows-related
Date:   Sat, 11 Apr 2015 14:42:43 +1000
From:   Brenton Horne <brentonhorn...@gmail.com>
To:     MediaWiki announcements and site admin list <
mediawik...@lists.wikimedia.org>

Hi,

I have a local Wiki that I have been trying to install the Math extension
on. In LocalSettings.php I have the following lines for the extension:
require_once("extensions/Math/math.php");

$wgUseTeX = true;
$wgTexvc = "/extensions/Math/math/texvc.exe";
texvc was installed via following instructions here [1 <
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Texvc#Windows>]. I have a texvc.exe file in
the directory extensions/Math/math/ created via following these
instructions. I also have LaTeX installed on my PC via MiKTeX, currently my
path variable points to C:\Program Files\MiKTeX\miktex\bin\x64 (where
latex.exe and dvipng.exe files exist). Despite this inserting an equation
via <math></math> into a Wiki page gives the error:
*Failed to parse (Missing <code>texvc</code> executable. Please see
math/README to configure.):*

Thanks for your time,
Brenton

Try making $wgTexvc be the full path (e.g. starting with c:\). In any case
if its relative it shouldnt start with a leading /.

--bawolff