On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 10:48 AM, Ori Livneh <o...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Over the course of the next two days, a major update to the
> SyntaxHighlight_GeSHi extension will be rolled out to Wikimedia wikis. The
> change swaps geshi, the unmaintained PHP library which performs the lexical
> analysis and output formatting of code, for another library, called
> Pygments.
>
> The roll-out will remove support for 31 languages while adding support for
> several hundred languages not previously supported, including Dart, Rust,
> Julia, APL, Mathematica, SNOBOL, Puppet, Dylan, Racket, Swift, and many
> others. See <https://people.wikimedia.org/~ori/geshi_changes.txt> for a
> full list. The languages that will lose support are mostly obscure, with
> the notable exception of ALGOL68, Oz, and MMIX.

I was surprised to find other languages not in your text file that
appear to no longer be supported.

I've gone through the geshi php files looking for assembler languages
only so far:
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/224379

How/Why were these excluded in your list?

I've found reasonable fallbacks for many of the other unsupported
languages, and as previously mentioned they have added support for
some of these languages.
Is Wikimedia going to only use the official releases of Pygments?
Their last release was six months ago.
Is someone in communication with them about pushing out a new release?
If they dont release them soon, will Wikimedia maintain its own
version of the software?

--
John Vandenberg