Pine, you are right. That list is not very useful, and instead should look
something like this:

https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Salzburg#Get_around

The bad news is that the tile service it uses is hosted on labs, which
means it cannot scale to the regular wikipedia-usage levels. Plus there
might be a potential policy problem there - default lab-content loading on
every page visit without user's consent.

The good news is that we are very close to launching a full-blown WMF
production-hosted tile service, based on the wonderful data from OSM.

See general info and some ideas people have proposed -
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Maps  (feel free to add more)