FYI!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Yuvi Panda <yuvipa...@wikimedia.org>
Date: Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 12:59 AM
Subject: PuppetSWAT, coming to a patch near you!
To: Development and Operations Engineers <engineer...@lists.wikimedia.org>

Hello!

MediaWiki SWAT deploys(
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/SWAT_deploys) are a very popular
way to get config changes deployed. In an effort to trim down the ops
review queue and encourage more non-opsen to write puppet patches,
we're experimenting with a similar setup for Puppet patches,
creatively called - PuppetSWAT!
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/PuppetSWAT has more preliminary
details.

The tl;dr is that if you have patches to operations/puppet.git, you
can now put them in the Deployment Calendar
(https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Deployments) and get them looked
at / merged. Just like SWAT, not all patches are suitable for Puppet
SWAT - see
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/PuppetSWAT#What_kind_of_patches_can_go_through_SWAT.3F
for guidelines and examples.

This is an experiment that'll go on for a few weeks, in an attempt to
encourage non opsen to write operations/puppet patches. There will be
two Puppet SWATs every week - one on Tuesday and one on Thursday,
right after Morning SWAT - so 16:00 - 17:00 UTC. See the Deployments
page for time in your local timezone! After a month of this (all of
September), we'll re-evaluate and commit to doing this as a team if
there's enough gains from this.

So write your simple patches and put them up for SWAT!

Thanks.

--
Yuvi Panda T
http://yuvi.in/blog