Jamison Lofthouse wrote:
The subject sounds exactly like the reCAPTCHA<
https://www.google.com/recaptcha/intro/index.html>  tagline. Not sure how
beneficial the project would be but I have seen it used. Maybe worth
looking into.
Thanks,
Negative24

I should note that the latest reCAPTCHA¹ is actually *less* friendly.
 ¹ the “please select all images of foobars” version.

I don't think it should be considered as the “best solution” (for wikis where it's suitable to install), nor should we repeat their errors.

A small list:

1) It still has user assumptions based on
1a) language: the user must understand what a "foobar" is before he can select those², and they aren't always common use words, precisely.

1b) cultural: will the user easily discover all the photos expected to be coffee if that's not a common beverage on his country?

² no, the sample image³ is not enough to discern what they want. At least with the expected easiness.

³ confusing UI btw, since the naive assumption would be to expect you also had to tick it (which is disabled).

2) confusing images: Sometimes it's not clear what is depicted in the photograph. Not even being a human.

3) wrong images: Sometimes there are images that are not really foobars (suppose they are the similar barfoos), and thus *shouldn't* be marked as such. But according to recaptcha they are. (and your grudgingly selection of the barfoo in order to pass the captcha probably means that Google is performing a wrong training reinforcing their idea that it is indeed a foobar)

In terms of difficulty for humans I would score them as:
images recaptcha > original reCaptcha > door numbers recaptcha > nocaptcha recaptcha