The bracketing was introduced to reduce the DDOS attack surface and
increase the cache hit ratio. This means that we could in theory do all the
magic of bracketing in the varnish (to keep the cache rate high), or we
could force the clients to do the logic.  The problem with Varnish approach
is that it puts business-level logic into Varnish's brittle C-style
configs.