Deployed on wmf cluster does not necessarilly means wmf has to maintain it.
A simple example: [[mw:Extension:Josa]]. It's maintained by 3rd party
developer independant from WMF. For example, (IIRC/AFAIK,) WMF has no
staffs with Korean knowledge.

[[Extension:Josa]]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Josa

--
revi